The Casal Català WDC cordially invites you to celebrate La Castanyada
The Castanyada (Catalan pronunciation: [kəstəˈɲaðə]) is a popular Catalan festival, celebrated on All Saints’ Day. Like Halloween, its origins are in an ancient ritual festival of the dead. It consists of a meal of chestnuts, panellets, sweet potato and preserved fruits, typically with moscatell to drink.
Around the time of this celebration, it is common for street vendors to sell hot toasted chestnuts wrapped in newspaper. In many places, confectioners often organize raffles of chestnuts and preserved fruit.
The festival is usually depicted with the figure of a Castanyera, an old lady, dressed in peasant’s clothing and wearing a headscarf, sat behind a table, roasting chestnuts for street sale.
Read more for event details and RSVP, please.
- Day: Nov 4th 2017 (Saturday)
- Time: From 3:30 pm onwards
- Venue: Parkside Condominium, 10520 Montrose Ave., Bethesda, MD 20814. Metro: Grosvenor-Strathmore (see map here). Metro: Grosvenor-Strathmore (5-10 minutes walking distance)
- From 2:15pm to 3:30pm: Junta Directiva meeting – this is an open meeting to select and appoint new members to the Casal Catala WDC board of directors. If you are interested please join us at this time.
- From 3:30pm to 5 pm: cooking of panellets.
- 5pm: La Castanyera, our special guest, will visit us to tell us her story and make us enjoy other traditional Catalan songs and dances.
- 5:30pm: time to eat chestnuts, panellets, and more.
- 30 pm: information session and recruiting of young actors for our Christmas performance of Els Pastorets.
The Casal Catala will buy everything. Entrance fees are as follow:
Until Nov. 3rd
- $10 per person
- $30 per family with children
Make your payment NOW via Paypal and safe money (bring your payment receipt).
Fees on Nov. 4th
- $15 per person
- $35 per family with children (5 year old or older)
Make your RSVP NOW via Eventbrite if you don’t want to pay now. Fees for RSVP will be Nov 4th fees. It is important to RSVP so we can plan for the event attendance.